Welcome to my blog about my experiences working in early childhood. I have called it Nurturing Forests because I believe that raising children is not a isolated activity but takes a whole community.



As early childhood professionals, we are actively involved in this process but we also need to work closely with the children, parents, community as a whole and other allied professionals.



I hope you enjoy my site. I also have a facebook site of the same name where I provide links to useful sites for teachers, parents and others interested in the early childhood: www.facebook.com/nurturingforests



Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Throwing Cameras - high expectations dashed

I learnt the hard way yesterday that having high expectations of the children does not always work out.

For the last month, for at least a few hours during the day the children have successfully borrowed and used my camera. This has led to some absolutely beautiful shots and it is incredible to watch a 2 year old successfully aim and take a photo.

Primarily it has been my preschoolers that have had the camera.

Unfortunately in a moment of exuberance yesterday my camera got broken - I didn't see exactly what happened but the reports from the children was that it got thrown across the room!. This is from the same children who have been incredibly careful with my camera for all of January.

But it wasn't so much the shock that the child had thrown my camera but her reaction that worried me the most -  she poked her tongue out at me! I did get a sorry but only after I suggested that that might be a good place to start.

Some of the children offered to buy me a new camera for my birthday - but as i pointed out to them i don't think they have access to that much money.

Luckily for the child my camera was already starting to die after surviving all my practicals so I was (relatively) calm. Unfortunately, it did have the impact of re-affirming with the other carers that I was being too cavalier by letting 'children' use my camera....

I have really enjoyed watching and using the shots of the children - does anyone have any suggestions  on how i can continue this without an attrition rate of a camera a month? 

2 comments:

  1. Wendy - I too let the children use my camera within my room - last year I had 2-3 year olds and happily let them walk around taking photos of whatever they pleased. I then used these photos in a portfolio sent home to the parent's - I titled the work "Sam the photographer" - the children and the parents loved the shots!
    I would suggest a drop proof camera - you can get them - I think they're called 'shock proof' or something. Most are also water resistant and some are even water proof! Which makes it great for underwater photos.
    Good luck and continue to trust the children with your camera - how else will they learn how to respect and take care of valuable belongings?
    Fiona xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Fiona,

    Great idea I will look around for one.

    I agree that its too good a opportunity to miss :)

    Wendy

    ReplyDelete