Welcome to my blog about my experiences working in early childhood. I have called it Nurturing Forests because I believe that raising children is not a isolated activity but takes a whole community.



As early childhood professionals, we are actively involved in this process but we also need to work closely with the children, parents, community as a whole and other allied professionals.



I hope you enjoy my site. I also have a facebook site of the same name where I provide links to useful sites for teachers, parents and others interested in the early childhood: www.facebook.com/nurturingforests



Sunday, February 20, 2011

Girls and Trucks - Genderised Play

Gender bias is something we covered frequently, and in detail, at university so I was ashamed to realise I was subject to it this weekend.

I have brought home from my old job a number of trucks (that I had paid for - don't ask) - a digger, cement truck and a garbage truck. I simply assumed my ten year old step daughter would not be interested in them. So stashed them in her book shelf without any thought.

However, yesterday she came out to me - overjoyed that she now had "really cool" trucks to play with and how she required sand to play with them properly.

After getting her some play sand this morning (put it in the water shell that we bought for the dogs but they refuse to use) - she spent all morning playing with the trucks!!

Just thought I would share it with you - just in case you see a really cool truck and think your daughter wont be interested!

No comments:

Post a Comment