Welcome to my blog about my experiences working in early childhood. I have called it Nurturing Forests because I believe that raising children is not a isolated activity but takes a whole community.



As early childhood professionals, we are actively involved in this process but we also need to work closely with the children, parents, community as a whole and other allied professionals.



I hope you enjoy my site. I also have a facebook site of the same name where I provide links to useful sites for teachers, parents and others interested in the early childhood: www.facebook.com/nurturingforests



Sunday, January 23, 2011

Getting promoted from "kinda sorta family" to "gaining a son"

My recent engagement to my partner of seven years has got me thinking about families and what makes a family again. Especially when both our parents started congratulating each other about gaining a son/daughter.
  • What were we to them before?
  • What did this mean my stepdaughter was to them before?
  • Surely the last seven years (almost six living together) had some significance?

It reminded me of my brother's wedding (this year) when he made his speech and referred to my partner and stepdaughter as "kinda sorta family"!

One of the most thought provoking and challenge subjects that I completed as part of my masters degree was Families in Context by the lovely and brilliant Emma Pearson ( http://www.iec.mq.edu.au/staff_bio.aspx?sid=303) - the aim of her subject was to get us to challenge traditional notions of the family and reflect on its impact on early childhood practices. When I return home I will post a complete of discussions related to this issue that I completed for the subject.

How do you ensure that you recognise ALL families in your practice?

No comments:

Post a Comment