Welcome to my blog about my experiences working in early childhood. I have called it Nurturing Forests because I believe that raising children is not a isolated activity but takes a whole community.



As early childhood professionals, we are actively involved in this process but we also need to work closely with the children, parents, community as a whole and other allied professionals.



I hope you enjoy my site. I also have a facebook site of the same name where I provide links to useful sites for teachers, parents and others interested in the early childhood: www.facebook.com/nurturingforests



Friday, January 21, 2011

Building society: Picking up Rubbish

My friend works collecting rubbish on Bondi Beach. He was telling about how the other day on the beach a small child (in front of him) dropped his lolly in the sand. The child proceeded to come up to my friend and point out the lolly to be picked up - no asking just pointing. His mother was there and watched the exchange.

This story troubles me.... what do you think?
  • Should the child have asked?
  • Should the child have picked it up himself?
  • Was the mother reinforcing that some people in life will be there to pick up her child's rubbish all time time?
  • What would the child do if the garbage collector wasn't working there?

Would love to hear your thoughts....

No comments:

Post a Comment