Welcome to my blog about my experiences working in early childhood. I have called it Nurturing Forests because I believe that raising children is not a isolated activity but takes a whole community.



As early childhood professionals, we are actively involved in this process but we also need to work closely with the children, parents, community as a whole and other allied professionals.



I hope you enjoy my site. I also have a facebook site of the same name where I provide links to useful sites for teachers, parents and others interested in the early childhood: www.facebook.com/nurturingforests



Sunday, April 10, 2011

Encouraging your child to write

There is much pressure on preschoolers to be able to read and write before they enter school.

However, it is important to remember that your child is taught these skills AT school so there is no need to force and drill your child into reading and writing.

Instead, what you can do is encourage a understanding of language and its uses.

Initially, this can be a simple as ensuring your children see you using writing as a tool. For example, involve them when making a shopping or to do list.

Secondly, encourage them to attempt to write - it doesn't matter if it looks nothing like their name or words, with practice it soon will. You should encourage your child to write in as many contexts as possible. For example, making lists, sending letters and even typing on the computer.

One skill they do need for school is the ability to recognize their name. So draw attention to their name in print whenever you can.

Finally, a key indicator for a child's literacy and language skills is how much they are read to. The more the better and there is significant research supporting the continual reading of the same book is very beneficial as it gives the child time to comprehend all aspects of the story. Thebookchook.com is a lovely place to start for story ideas.

If you are looking for more practical literacy tips the blog childhood101.con does weekly literacy spots that are excellent.

In my next literacy post, I will discuss some of the initiatives we are doing at my work.

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

1 comment:

  1. Hi Wendy,
    I enjoyed this post!
    With my 2 1/2 year olds I feel much of my literacy teaching is I guess pre-literacy/ writing teaching and is often presented in the environment. Most of my shelves have labels of toys, and art materials, etc. showing a photo, plus the word. As well, I have 2 small bookshelves of good children's books which I rotate thanks to the library.

    One thing I learned long ago was that primary pencils, and crayons are best for pre-writing skills,rather than markers, because the child need to make more effort to use them, (markers glide) - so in my room I rarely use markers, they're sort of a special treat now and them.

    That's mainly what I do, as well as printing out stories for my children,as they watch.
    Brenda

    ReplyDelete